Trinity - anyone want to join in?

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Gunness
Site Admin

Trinity - anyone want to join in?

#1 Post by Gunness » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:04 am

I've created this grand plan to play my way through the entire range of Infocom titles (excluding the latest Zork games). I've never played more than half of them, and after 15-20 years I really can't recall much of said half.

After having had a ball with Wishbringer and Starcross, and going through Shogun (a definite waste of time), I've come to Trinity. I've never played it before and have only made my way through the first 8-9 locations.

Does anyone want to join in? I know there's a solution and hint file on the site, but I've chosen to ignore both of them. It's a lot more fun struggling along with other gamers.
So, in case anyone is interested, I've just made my way through the white door. Hope to see some of you here :)

terri

#2 Post by terri » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:24 pm

The Infocom games were the first I ever played. I bought the entire collection (complete with hints), and worked my way through all of them. The Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy, despite the hints (which I played because I loved the books and the television show), had me incredibly baffled. Hours and hours even with the hints. The others were not as bad.

So, all this to say, I do not have the fortitude and self-discipline that you have (to not look at the hints). The discs and hint book are still in my cupboard. So, I suppose I could look them up if you and other players are interested. :lol: Rather than you going to the hint site, where one needs to resist the temptation to look at the solution.

Terri

Gunness
Site Admin

#3 Post by Gunness » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:37 am

terri wrote:The Infocom games were the first I ever played. I bought the entire collection (complete with hints), and worked my way through all of them.
Wow! What a (rather expensive) to get started in adventure gaming :D I never got around to buying more than 8 or 9 of them as they were immensely expensive here in Europe.
And there are a few duds (Seastalker, Nord and Bert, Moonmist) that I'm happy I never got around to obtaining.

Anyway, back to Trinity: I can't figure out exactly how the sundial (the second one, after entering the toadstool landscape) works. I've fitted the gnomon and think I've learned how turning the ring makes the shadow move towards one of the white doors. But I don't understand exactly what the lever does. It makes time move faster, or something like that?

Gunness
Site Admin

#4 Post by Gunness » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:00 am

Oh, and another thing:
I have no idea if there's any special order I should deal with the various sub-areas (behind the white doors)

Thanks!
Jacob

Gunness
Site Admin

#5 Post by Gunness » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:12 pm

Well well well, amazing what a lot of perseverance can accomplish. I managed to answer all of my questions myself :)

What a genuinely terrific game this is!

terri

#6 Post by terri » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:21 am

Isn't it funny how that happens? You post a question, go back to the game, and sometimes voila! you've found your own solution.

BYW - some of the games you mentioned are not in the Treasures of Infocom package. Only the "good ones". I had just bought my first computer, and this entire package was on sale.

Maybe the first game I played was actually Elvira come to think of it. Lots and lots of killing worms as I recall...

Anyway, continue to have fun. I hope someone joins you.

billy7720

Re: Trinity - anyone want to join in?

#7 Post by billy7720 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:21 am

Trinity was a mind blowing game - made Wishbringer look like (nevermind).

Brian Moriarty wrote this one and at the time I was only a teen and didn't have the "gumption" to finish it. Maybe it's time to try again. I remember the beginning was a bomb dropped and you ran into a "time portal" or something to escape the holocaust.

GREAT GAME!

billy7720

Gunness
Site Admin

#8 Post by Gunness » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:44 pm

Trinity holds up extremely well, and it's definitely in my Infocom top 3.

(On the other hand, I keep trying to get excited about Ballyhoo and fail miserably every time)

df

#9 Post by df » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:32 am

now if you said mag scrolls, I'd be like, yeah probably ;)
-- Stu / DF --
-- Mountain Valley + Softgold Adventure Fan --

Samwise

Re:

#10 Post by Samwise » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:34 pm

terri wrote:BYW - some of the games you mentioned are not in the Treasures of Infocom package. Only the "good ones". I had just bought my first computer, and this entire package was on sale.
Hmm ... are you sure you weren't just missing the sequel, The Lost Treasures of Infocom II? The CD version of that package added the remaining games, with the sole exception of Leather Goddesses of Phobos (I think there was a postcard included with TLToI II which allowed you to buy LGoP separately).

The later compilation Classic Text Adventure Masterpieces of Infocom contained all the games including LGoP, but not The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or James Clavell's Shogun, as Activision's licence for those two had expired by that point.

Sam.

terri

#11 Post by terri » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:31 am

I found the box. It is old - contains big and small floppies, no CD.

It doesn't contain Trinity, plus a few other games. It's not the sequel (Infocom II). There is a manual and a hint book. So maybe these were not the "good" games. The date on the box is 1991. I was so new to gaming then, I suppose I wouldn't have known a good game from a bad one.

I suppose I could try and play some of them again. I have a disk drive, but since it sometimes cannot read some of my old, personal discs, I don't want to know it they don't work.

I can still remember my frustration then, even with the help the books provided. And to think I was a middle aged lady THEN, not to mention NOW.

Samwise

#12 Post by Samwise » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:53 am

I think my point was that all but one of the "missing" titles, were included in the second compilation. More info here at Wikipedia. You needed both of the packages to get an almost-complete collection. Although, the floppy version of LToI II was missing three of the games (Shogun, Arthur, Journey) that were on the CD-ROM version.

If you want to replay these games without fiddling with your original disks, there's plenty of places online to download the majority of Infocom titles. Mostly illegal, of course, but as you have the original LToI package, I think it'd be churlish for anyone to moan at you downloading any of the titles that were in that compilation.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is still legally available to play online in its original form at douglasadams.com or as a 20th Anniversary Edition, a graphically-enhanced version from the BBC.

Sam.

Quantum

#13 Post by Quantum » Thu May 03, 2012 2:00 am

Hello everyone. First off I want to say how helpful Jacob's solutions (the ones on the if archive) were. Without your solutions I would probably still be lost in the royal puzzle in Zork3 and still at the magick shop in Wishbringer lol.
Sorry if I sound like a total fan girl.
Back on topic,
Indeed you can download Infocom games. If.Illuminion.de/infocom.html was where I got my coppies. You'll need winrar for a majority of game downloads.
Many feelies are included with a few games such as the infotator in spellbreaker and the cards from sorcerer.
The rest can be found at ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archiveXInfocomXshipped-documentation.html

Back on the illuminion page, They have downloads for both Infocom and magnetic scrolls. If only it was that simple for getting level 9 games LOL.