Starcrash - ZX Spectrum

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

urbanghost

Starcrash - ZX Spectrum

#1 Post by urbanghost » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:24 pm

I just finished STARCRASH on spectrum and at the end of the game it says to load side 2 of the tape.

OFFISHUL ANOWNSMENT-PleEZ LOde SYDE ToO Ov ThiSS TAIP?

I played it on a spectrum with an sd card reader so only have the file available online. Anyone have any idea if side 2 is available anywhere or what was on there?

Strident

Re: Starcrash - ZX Spectrum

#2 Post by Strident » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:44 pm

Although there should be two parts to the game; one on each side of the tape, as shown in the review...
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/mag.php ... 65&page=41

...only one side/part is preserved.

I'll flag it up as being an issue on the ZXDB.

urbanghost

#3 Post by urbanghost » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:13 am

just finished another one and got same thing again. Didn't know whether to start a new thread so if you want just let me know.
game is called A Life of Crime on spectrum. get to the end and it says 50% and put side 2 on. File is a TZX and only one available online as far as i know. Trust me to play 2 games in a row that i cant finish

Alex

#4 Post by Alex » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:31 am

Unfortunately this is not uncommon. Several years ago we played a spectrum game called Leotrope here on the forum and as far as I know there stil hasn t been found a copy containing the second part.

Strident

#5 Post by Strident » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:40 pm

Alex wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:31 am
Unfortunately this is not uncommon. Several years ago we played a spectrum game called Leotrope here on the forum and as far as I know there stil hasn t been found a copy containing the second part.
Yes, Leotrope was definitely two parts as I played it back in the day and was indirectly involved with it, through DTHS and Quest software.

I'll request a note added to both Leotrope and A Life of Crime on the ZXDB, to mention the fact that they're not fully preserved.

Leotrope Part 2... is actually out there, together with a full solution by the author... It was included on issue 5 of Grahame's SAM Coupe magazine Enceladus. It can be played on a SAM using a Spectrum emulator... Technically, I guess, the snapshot could be extracted a dumped back onto a Spectrum... I've not done (or had real cause) to do that before... I may have a bit of a play with that when I get some free time.

Alex

#6 Post by Alex » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:00 pm

Strident wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:40 pm
Leotrope Part 2... is actually out there, together with a full solution by the author... It was included on issue 5 of Grahame's SAM Coupe magazine Enceladus. It can be played on a SAM using a Spectrum emulator... Technically, I guess, the snapshot could be extracted a dumped back onto a Spectrum... I've not done (or had real cause) to do that before... I may have a bit of a play with that when I get some free time.
Thanks for the info, would be nice to play the second part. However I never used a Sam Coupe emulator before. I found SimCoupe and than I managed to load SC-Speclone as indicated by the author in the LEOTROPE file on the disk, but then I'm lost. Do you know which option you have to choose to start the file leo2? Or am I doing it completely wrong :) ?

Strident

#7 Post by Strident » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:00 pm

You'll need a version of SC_Speclone with the Spectrum ROM loaded into it. It's something that I will look at when I have a little bit of free time. I did have a quick look earlier (to verify the presence of the Leotrope snapshot on the disk) but I don't have a suitable image of SC_Speclone prepared.

Strident

#8 Post by Strident » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:12 pm

Strident wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:00 pm
You'll need a version of SC_Speclone with the Spectrum ROM loaded into it. It's something that I will look at when I have a little bit of free time. I did have a quick look earlier (to verify the presence of the Leotrope snapshot on the disk) but I don't have a suitable image of SC_Speclone prepared.
Posted in the original Leotrope thread... viewtopic.php?p=10136#p10136

boldir

#9 Post by boldir » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:46 pm

The version of A LIFE OF CRIME on World of Spectrum is the original TXZ with both Part 1 and 2!