Can anyone recognize this game? (Lost in Wales).

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

andrei_p

Can anyone recognize this game? (Lost in Wales).

#1 Post by andrei_p » Fri May 10, 2019 12:05 am

"You are on holiday in the Wilds of Wales with a group of friends. One afternoon you go for a walk in the mountains. A mist decends and you are separated from your friends. You decide to call to your friends."

Does anyone recognise this? While going through some Spectrum tapes recently I came across a cassette full of adventure games probably compiled by a friend from school all those years ago. Nothing there that wasn't already on WOS, with the one exception of something listed as "Lost In Wales". Just a Multiface copy, which isn't ideal, but I don't seem to be able to find any mention of a game by this name. It opens with the text above.

Seems to have been written with Incentive's Graphic Adventure Creator (although it's almost all text) so I ran it through UnGac to extract the text - seems fairly comprehensive, probably not something that had been home-written to fill space on the tape. But at the same time, seems odd that there's no mention of it on the net.

Does anyone recognise it? (The game itself doesn't seem to announce any kind of title, so maybe it's a more well-known title, just mislabelled?)

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0027873

Regards,

Andrei.

Strident

Re: Can anyone recognize this game? (Lost in Wales).

#2 Post by Strident » Fri May 10, 2019 7:04 am

It turned up about seven years ago, mentioned in a post on World of Spectrum, and we discussed it there back then. It's cropped up a few times in discussion since but nobody has ever managed to identify the author or the source of the game.

(Given the identical content of your post to the post on WOS back in 2012, I'm presuming you're the original finder, so there is still only one copy ever found.)

Garry

Re: Can anyone recognize this game? (Lost in Wales).

#3 Post by Garry » Fri May 10, 2019 2:50 pm

I probably know less about the Spectrum than any other platform, but games without titles from unknown authors are quite common. I'm guessing that it is a home brew game written by someone that chose to remain anonymous. These sorts of games were usually contributed to user group libraries or bulletin boards and passed on from group to group without ever knowing the provenance. Unless the author or original publisher comes forward or we can find a reference in a magazine review or user group newsletter, it's unlikely that we will ever be able to give proper credit. As an adventure historian, I find this annoying, but we just have to learn to live with it.