Scott Adams graphical adventures. S.A.G.A

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Denny

Scott Adams graphical adventures. S.A.G.A

#1 Post by Denny » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:58 pm

Hello,

I'm putting together walkthroughs of all the Scott Adams graphical adventures on different 8-bit formats on Youtube.

I've started off with Adventureland on the C64 and i plan to do the Spectrum version at some point. I'm trying to locate all the adventures that had graphics and what formats they came out for.

Do anyone know of a website that lists all the graphical adventures for all the 8-bit formats please.

Garry

Re: Scott Adams graphical adventures. S.A.G.A

#2 Post by Garry » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:13 am

Not offhand. You might have to search for one platform at a time. If you search for each game on CASA and there are screen grabs of the SAGA version for a particular platform, then you'll know that it exists for that platform.

I know that SAGA versions exist for the following:
  • Atari 8-bit: Adventures 1-6 and 13, Buckaroo Banzai and the Questprobe series
  • Apple II: Adventure 1, Buckaroo Banzai and the Questprobe series
  • TI-99/4a: Return to Pirate's Isle
There are no doubt others. The Adventure International catalogues may help.

Alastair

#3 Post by Alastair » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:14 pm

Welcome!

I cannot supply a list, but I can tell you that I have yet to find a graphical version of any Scott Adams adventure for the Dragon computer.

Exemptus

#4 Post by Exemptus » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:01 pm

For the ZX Spectrum, only Adventureland, Secret Mission, both Savage Island parts and Claymorgue have graphics (either by Teoman Irmak or Julian Howell). I think these were never marketed as SAGA, as far as I'm aware. There were ports of Pirate Adventure, Voodoo Castle and Strange Odyssey, but without any graphics. There are also at least two different ports of Pirate Adventure and Voodoo Castle, one of which wasn't done by Brian Howarth like the others, and looks completely different to the rest. The ones that AI (UK) never ported to the Spectrum were The Count, Mystery Fun House, Pyramid of Doom, Ghost Town and Golden Voyage.

I'm not counting the Questprobe games as to me these are not part of the numbered Adams series, but all three had graphics on the Spectrum.

Denny

#5 Post by Denny » Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:33 pm

Sorry for the delay in saying thanks a million for the information.

Love all the difference in the graphics of the Scott Adams games.

Denny

#7 Post by Denny » Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:56 am

Thank you. Yeah I have this site but I'm yet to find anywhere with a definite run down of what game has graphics and what systems the games came out on.

That site list SAGA but I think it stands for Scott Adams grand adventures instead of Scott Adams graphical adventures.

The game id most like to find with graphics is Ghost Town.

Thanks for the reply.

Garry

#8 Post by Garry » Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:04 am

SAGA stands for Scott Adams Graphic Adventure. You can see this in all the advertising and the Adventure International catalogues. It was even spelled out on the SAGA logo, which featured the words on an artist's palette.

I know that there were SAGA versions of adventures 1 to 6, 13 and the Questprobe series for the Apple II and Atari 8-bit. Sorry, no Ghost Town.

Strident

#9 Post by Strident » Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:50 am

To add to the confusion, though, Scott himself was using that "grand adventures" variant for years as a moniker for his more recent work (and as a term to describe his whole back catalogue) until he switched to releasing new games as Clopas.
https://www.msadams.com/index.htm

(I guess "SAGA" is a great word to use as an acronym.)

df

#10 Post by df » Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:43 am

I have vague memory and am probably wrong, but wasnt there SAGA+? I'm sure SAGA+ on the PC had a "4 word" parser, not quite full sentence, but hulk SAGA was purely verb/noun I'm probably wrong and its bad memories.

I know for sure, spiderman, F4, buckaroo + sorc were built on "sagaplus" but hulk was a separate interpreter different from those others. now whether saga+ is really any different I dont know...
-- Stu / DF --
-- Mountain Valley + Softgold Adventure Fan --