CASA 20 years

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

Gunness
Site Admin

CASA 20 years

#1 Post by Gunness » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:22 pm

... if you missed it in the news section: https://solutionarchive.com/casa_20_years/

iamaran

Re: CASA 20 years

#2 Post by iamaran » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:13 pm

I, for one, enjoyed reading it. Thanks for everything, Jacob.

Gunness
Site Admin

#3 Post by Gunness » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:04 pm

Thanks, appreciate it! :D

Mark

#4 Post by Mark » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:18 pm

Gee, now you lured an old dog (me) out from behind the oven...

Has it been 20 years? Holy shit! I mean CONGRATULATIONS! You have done tremendous work over all those years, and made a huge contribution to gaming history.

I took the liberty to share information about this site's anniversary on AtariAge...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/288444 ... niversary/

...where I am sure a few people exist who appreciate this kind of stuff.

Dorothy

#5 Post by Dorothy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:27 pm

Wonderful to read this Jacob, brings back lots of memories of when I was writing text adventure games on the Commodore 64. Great to hear about how the group started.

My website has now closed, the website provider I used no longer exists, but I still have all my solutions which I wrote over the years, but I know you have them at CASA anyway.

I was interviewed and video taped by two professors from the Universities of Adelaide and Wellington, who were doing research into Digital Games of the eighties, about my involvement with computers and in particular text adventure games. I donated all my maps, magazines etc. to the library archives for posterity. Oral history they called it.

Anyway it was great to hear from you Jacob.
Dorothy Millard

Strident

#6 Post by Strident » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:02 pm

As I've said elsewhere already, many congratulations Jacob... running a site for 20 years is no mean feat. It's been invaluable for me since I discovered it a few years ago.
Dorothy wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:27 pm
I was interviewed and video taped by two professors from the Universities of Adelaide and Wellington, who were doing research into Digital Games of the eighties, about my involvement with computers and in particular text adventure games. I donated all my maps, magazines etc. to the library archives for posterity. Oral history they called it.
I'm glad to hear that your Australian adventure memories have been captured, Dorothy. I mentioned to a Australian-based academic interested in text adventures that you'd be a good person to talk to, should you be willing... I remember your many letters to Adventure Probe, from when I was reading and writing for it in the 90s. Your solutions have been most useful throughout the years and I enjoyed your games that got Spectrum conversions, too. It's great that these days I can enjoy the original C64 versions, if I choose, rather than rely on ports of varying quality.

Alex

#7 Post by Alex » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:50 pm

Just in time back from the Juan Fernandez Islands to celebrate this day! Thank you, Jacob for providing us this platform where we can share our solutions, maps, and other subjects concerning text adventures. And thank you for your friendship all these years. I don’t remember when it was the first time I contacted you, but I do remember always checking the wanted section on the old site. I guess Zakil Wood was one of the first solutions I sent you because someone was asking for it. With the new site and the addition of the forum I made a lot of friends, and enjoyed played adventures together with them. I have no idea how much time I’ve spend working for the site but I happily will spend it again to make future contributions (as long as my other hobbies like my boy scout group permit me to have some spare time that is :) but although I don’t have the spare time I would like to have, I’m always around so you know where to find me. Congratulations for all these years and thank you and I ‘ll hope we will be on the internet for at least another 20 years :)

Gunness
Site Admin

#8 Post by Gunness » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:59 am

Thank you so much, one and all!

@Mark: whoa, nice to hear from you again, and I really appreciate the kind words. If you get tired of climbing, you're more than welcome to join in again :D

@Dorothy: Also nice to have you in here once more. Sounds very reassuring that your recollections (and collection) has been saved for posterity. It's quite a body of work! Hope you'll feel like hanging around a bit.@

@Strident: Once again :thumb:

@Alex: Welcome back from your "stuck on island" trip. Yes, now that you mention it Zakil Wood springs to mind! I've also made a lot of friends with this hobby, which is pretty interesting as it's a very solitary interest in itself. I hope that we can keep this running too for years to come.

Garry

#9 Post by Garry » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:16 pm

I've been playing, writing and writing about adventures since the early 1980s, yet I'm a relative newcomer to CASA. Over the last few years, I've spent hundreds of hours getting my own collection in order and submitting info, maps and solutions for everything from obscure 8-bit BASIC type-ins to the controversial "modern" interactive fiction competition games. And there's more to come. Much more.

I wouldn't have wasted so much of my life on this if it wasn't for CASA. I hate you CASA! :x But you've become a major part of my life and I hope you're still around for another 200 years! :lol:

Gunness
Site Admin

#10 Post by Gunness » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:05 pm

Well, uh.... thank you.... I think :lol: :D
Yeah, I hope we'll be around for a while still. Thanks for your extense work on the database!

Alastair

#11 Post by Alastair » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:19 am

Congratulations Jacob. I can't recall when I first discovered CASA but after I did it became one of the sites I would frequently visit, and even if I had not been given greater responsibilities I would have remained a regular visitor. :thumb:

Gunness
Site Admin

#12 Post by Gunness » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:58 pm

That's great to hear, Alastair :) Happy to have you on board!

Mr Creosote

#13 Post by Mr Creosote » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:15 pm

Oops, sorry to be late to the party! Happy anniversary, CASA, many heartfelt thanks to Jacob for keeping it running as well as to all those great individuals who share this passion.

I do distinctly remember the first time I got in touch with Jacob, after having been a quiet consumer for some time already. It was in relation to the Scott Adams Spiderman game. So it must have been... checking... mid-2002.

It was a much friendlier, much more interesting Internet back then. Sure, some of today's juggernauts already existed, but they weren't this all powerful back then. We were still all dreaming of this internet bringing us real grassroot democracy. Boy, were we naïve!

Thanks, CASA, for keeping at least a small bit of that dream alive!

Gunness
Site Admin

#14 Post by Gunness » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:36 pm

Thanks a lot! You're a large part of the reason that the site has grown and flourished the way it has. If I still had to use the old setup and be hampered by its limitations, I would surely have given up years ago.

And yes, the internet has changed greatly, mostly for the worse. I'm certainly glad that I'm not trying to launch a hobby site today.

df

#15 Post by df » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:11 am

Heres to another 20 years mate! maybe we can find another Softgold/Mountain Valley Software adventure :)
-- Stu / DF --
-- Mountain Valley + Softgold Adventure Fan --