"Adventure Builder System" and "Adventure System"

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

Alastair

"Adventure Builder System" and "Adventure System"

#1 Post by Alastair » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:59 pm

World of Spectrum states that Adventure Builder System and Adventure System are "almost equal". In what way do they differ, and if the differences are small should CASA merge the two systems?

Gunness
Site Admin

Re: "Adventure Builder System" and "Adventure System"

#2 Post by Gunness » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:07 am

I overlooked this topic.
Excellent question - I'll ask WoS what the basis for "almost equal" statement is. But as both programs were written by the same guy and released at the same time AND one of them is only connected to one game entry, I'll just merge and update the entry when/if I get info from WoS.

Richard Bos

#3 Post by Richard Bos » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:48 pm

Ah. I know this. I typed in the Sinclair User version for WoS.

I'm not quite sure of the historical sequence of events, but it seems that Tom Frost wrote this thing to create his own adventures in, then either
- sent a cut-down version to SU for publication and published the full version commercially, or
- sent his then current version to SU and after that expanded it and published that version.
In any case, the commercial version does have a few more options, but it still rather similar to the type-in.

Neither, by the way, is IMAO worth bothering with. They're far too finicky, require far too much pre-planning without the option of easily going back when (not if...) you've overlooked something - you can go back, but that's even more of a palaver - and not enough flexibility.
For example, when I ported Cloak of Darkness to the Spectrum recently, I also tried to make a version in ABS. Couldn't find a reasonable way to have you start out wearing your cloak. It's probably possible in theory, but that's just not good enough.
Richard Bos
The Netherlands
Spectrum nut and T/SAL "expert". And very amateur chess player.

Gunness
Site Admin

#4 Post by Gunness » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:12 pm

Very good. I've updated the ABS entry with this info.