vz200 Dracula's castle

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

Alex

vz200 Dracula's castle

#1 Post by Alex » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:36 pm

The following game in the database isn't a text adventure:

http://solutionarchive.com/game/id%2C46 ... astle.html

You have to walk around through a random maze inside a castle collecting silver stakes and fighting monsters until you find Dracula and kill him. When you encounter a monster you kill it when you have collected enough silver stakes if not the games end. The only text input is when you tell the computer which direction you want to go (N, E, S or W).

Mark

Re: vz200 Dracula's castle

#2 Post by Mark » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:14 am

True, the game seems to be deep in the grey zone at the margin of the genre. And I bet it's pretty shitty as well. Yet, with a bit of good will it can at least be called a "classic adventure". I'd vote for keeping it in the database, if only to preserve the little bit of coverage the archive has on the VZ200/300 platform.

If all "exotic" non-text adventures were slavishly removed, the site would lose solutions to timeless classics such as Maniac Mansion and the old AD&D RPG's. After all, it's CASA, not CTASA ("Classic Text Adventure Solution Archive") :wink: .

Alastair

#3 Post by Alastair » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:18 pm

Mark wrote:If all "exotic" non-text adventures were slavishly removed, the site would lose solutions to timeless classics such as Maniac Mansion and the old AD&D RPG's. After all, it's CASA, not CTASA ("Classic Text Adventure Solution Archive") :wink: .
That may be the case but from Alex's description this game does not appear to be one for which a solution can be written, nor does it seem to be a game with puzzles in the adventure game mould.

Alex

#4 Post by Alex » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:03 am

Mark wrote: if only to preserve the little bit of coverage the archive has on the VZ200/300 platform.
Don't worry about that. I'll be adding more vz200 adventures in the near future. I have got several more but I always first want to play them once to see if they are real adventures. I've a lot of adventure games which aren't in the database yet for several platforms but I've one big problem which is called time :) but I'lll be working on it.

But regarding to this game I think an adventure game at least should have a few puzzles to be solved and this one hasn't. True this site isn't called CTASA but when you read the about page it clearly states it's all about textadventures and not modern point'n'click titles. I know several games in the database don't apply to this criterion like for instance passengers of the wind or Elvira II. Maniac Mansion maybe on the edge of being a text adventure in the classic sense of a text adventure where you have to type every command yourself, but it does let you choose between written commands. This game however tends more to be a classic maze/arcade game than it is a textadventure. The only difference is instead of using a controller you use the cardinal directions to move around.

Melinda

#5 Post by Melinda » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:59 am

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I can provide some insight into this game Dracula’s Castle. It was developed by a high school kid, David Boggs, in Tamworth Australia and sold to Dick Smith electronics to publish and distribute. It was my brother. He happily declared the plant monster was based on me as a brother would do...

Garry

#6 Post by Garry » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:16 am

Melinda wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:59 am
He happily declared the plant monster was based on me as a brother would do...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

bushy555

#7 Post by bushy555 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:43 am

Melinda wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:59 am
Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I can provide some insight into this game Dracula’s Castle. It was developed by a high school kid, David Boggs, in Tamworth Australia and sold to Dick Smith electronics to publish and distribute. It was my brother. He happily declared the plant monster was based on me as a brother would do...
No way! I bought Dracula's Castle, on cassette, from the Tamworth DSE shop in about 1984, maybe 1985.
(Im from Quirindi)