Any French Speakers on here?

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

DataPro

Re: Any French Speakers on here?

#31 Post by DataPro » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:19 am

Eriorg wrote:Are there any BASIC experts here who could tell us if there were actually other BASICs than the one from the Amstrad CPC with all these keywords?
  • ASC
  • CLS
  • DATA
  • DIM
  • INKEY$
  • LEFT$
  • LEN
  • LOCATE
  • MID$
  • ON <variable name> GOTO
  • READ
  • RIGHT$
  • VAL
the Sanyo PHC-25 has all these keywords.
http://www.phc25.com/presse/brochure_a.htm

DataPro

#32 Post by DataPro » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:31 am

dave wrote:
Gunness wrote:I found by chance when looking through articles on Wikipedia about CPUs used in 8-bit computers (through the TRS-80 MC-10 computer). I was in two minds about this platform as it seems that TRS-80 MC-10 games are binary compatible, but I can't find any text adventure for it - but with 4K of RAM, there's not much that can be done!
If you want more informations about Alice computers check this :
http://alice.system-cfg.com/
There was three Matra Alice computers : Alice (4Kb) Alice 32 (16Ko) and Alice 90 (40 Ko).

dave

#33 Post by dave » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:56 pm

DataPro wrote:the Sanyo PHC-25 has all these keywords.
http://www.phc25.com/presse/brochure_a.htm
And, yet another platform for us - I can only find one adventure: La guerre du feu. But I'm sure there'll be others. Having had a quick look on Google, it appears that Sanyo then went MSX, but still called their machine "PHC"; typical :-)

Good find!

DataPro

#34 Post by DataPro » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:50 am

In fact I am trying to find sofwares for Sanyo PHC-25 and with friends I am trying to make new software for it.
We are making some tools for data transfers beetween PC and PHC through .wav files.

Alex

#35 Post by Alex » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:20 pm

I found below information on the internet about the sanyo PHC-25:
As the fears have grown, a number of new machines have been announced by Japanese companies. The latest is Sanyo, which is launching three machines.

The PHC-25 is the biggest and is aimed at the same people who would be considering buying a Spectrum. It has 16K of onboard RAM, can have nine colours on the screen at one time, has touchpad keyboard, and costs £150.

Its 16K has 14K available to the user, unlike the Spectrum, which has only 9K. The RAM required for the display has been reduced because the machine includes a special memory area, called video RAM, which contains the screen display.

Unlike the Spectrum the Sanyo can control a tape recorder directly from a program. It also has extensive Microsoft Basic.

The PHC-10 is a battery-powered £60 training computer with a single-line liquid crystal display and no provision for television display. The other machine, the PHC-20, has 4K RAM with no colour and will cost about £100.

The range is being marketed by Logitek of Chorley, Lancashire. No date has been fixed for the launch but it is expected to be soon.
It was published in the Sinclair User Magazine of December 1982

Starscream

#36 Post by Starscream » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Here's an ad from French magazine Tilt (March/April 1983) which lists some software for the PHC:

[Removed link as per Dave's request - Alastair]

dave

#37 Post by dave » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:28 pm

Starscream wrote:Here's an ad from French magazine Tilt (March/April 1983) which lists some software for the PHC:
Thanks for the advert. Just a warning: don't click on the image; the site it takes you to has adult adverts! Fortunately I wasn't reading this on my work laptop! (Gunness/Alastair, any chance of leaving the image, but removing the URL tag?)

The following adventures are listed which don't seem to be in the database:

Code: Select all

Dragon 32
Aventure Plus
Caverne aux Lutins
Donjon de la Mort
Maison des Horreurs
Quest
Tour du Diable

Atom
Dungeon
Green Things
House
Intergalactic

ZX-81
Black Cristal
Encounter
Gametape III 3D
Lost Island
Starquest
Trader

TI-99A
Adventure
Some of these may not be text adventures though. Looks like some work to do!

Starscream

#38 Post by Starscream » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:28 pm

dave wrote:
Starscream wrote:Here's an ad from French magazine Tilt (March/April 1983) which lists some software for the PHC:
Thanks for the advert. Just a warning: don't click on the image; the site it takes you to has adult adverts! Fortunately I wasn't reading this on my work laptop! (Gunness/Alastair, any chance of leaving the image, but removing the URL tag?)

Some of these may not be text adventures though. Looks like some work to do!
Lol, sorry. I hope there wasn't anything disgusting. I didn't see any of those - I guess Adblock works wonders.

The Ti99 "Adventure" is probably just the cartridge needed to play the Scott adams releases.

Black Cristal (or Crystal) for the Zx81 is a hybrid game, with RPG and text adventure sections. The rest I can't say without additional research either.

Alastair

#39 Post by Alastair » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:47 pm

dave wrote: The following adventures are listed which don't seem to be in the database:

Dragon 32
Aventure Plus
Caverne aux Lutins
Donjon de la Mort
Maison des Horreurs
Quest
Tour du Diable
It would have been helpful if that advert had mentioned the names of the publishers. As it is I assume that Quest is the game published by Dragon Data, this game is not a text adventure (it is a kind of RPG with no puzzle element).

Something else that the advert does not tell us is whether or not the games have been translated into French, this applies just as much to those with French titles as to those in English. Then there are the French titles which when translated into English do not correspond with any game title of which I am aware, these may be games developed in France (a field in which I claim ignorance) or the given title is not a translation of the original title.

So in summary:
Aventure Plus - I know of this game title but have been unable to find a copy to see if it is a text adventure
Caverne aux Lutins (Cavern of Elves?) - no idea
Donjon de la Mort (Dungeon of Death?) - is this the same as Dungeons of Death which is now in the database?
Maison des Horreurs (House of Horrors?) - [edit] I have now found an English version of this game [end edit]
Quest - see above
Tour du Diable (Devil's Tower?) - no idea

Eriorg

#40 Post by Eriorg » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:57 am

dave wrote:

Caverne aux Lutins
There's a game called La Caverne des Lutins (for the Victor Lambda computer) which, according to the review (pages 13 and 14) in the September/October 1982 issue of Tilt, is a pure text adventure in French with a parser. I don't know if it's a translation or not, though.

dave

#41 Post by dave » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:59 am

Eriorg wrote:There's a game called La Caverne des Lutins (for the Victor Lambda computer) which, according to the review (pages 13 and 14) in the September/October 1982 issue of Tilt, is a pure text adventure in French with a parser. I don't know if it's a translation or not, though.
And another computer to research - the Micronique Victor (or Hector) Lambda, which is another derivative of an American computer. I do sometimes wonder how many 8-bit computers existed and whether we'll ever research all of them...

The list I made above was just what the advert listed as "Adventure", so some of them won't be true text adventures.

An image of La Caverne des Lutins can be found for modern emulators.

There's also Le Manoir d'Alba which looks like a graphical text adventure, but may just be a random dungeon game. Unfortunately I'm running up against the language barrier. (It took me a while to work out how to load it: you need to set DCHector to Hector HRX, then tell it to load BASIC and then load "" and remember that it's an AZERTY keyboard.)

dave

#42 Post by dave » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:46 pm

For the ZX81, the entries are either already in, or I've already ruled out, except for the following:
Encounter
Gametape III 3D
Starquest
Trader

Eriorg

#43 Post by Eriorg » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:33 pm

dave wrote:There's also Le Manoir d'Alba which looks like a graphical text adventure, but may just be a random dungeon game. Unfortunately I'm running up against the language barrier.
I've tried it: it's a graphical text adventure (the parser understands at least "REGARDE" (look at), "PRENDS" (take), and a few object names like "TABLE"), although the way you must move in the game is strange and tedious: there's an arrow on the screen and you can type "A" (meaning "AVANCE", I guess) to go forward a bit, "G" (meaning "GAUCHE") to turn the arrow left and "D" (meaning "DROITE") to turn it right.

DataPro

#44 Post by DataPro » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks for the page from Tilt...

DataPro

#45 Post by DataPro » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:31 pm

Alex wrote:I’ll submit some hints on how to solve La caverne des Morlocks and will try to solve Sorcellerie but for now I’m going to Chile on vacation to do some real adventure :D . You'll hear from me again by the end of february.
La Caverne des Morlocks and Sorcellerie were two multiplatform BASIC listings published in a special issue of l'Ordinateur Individuel in 1985.
http://www.abandonware-magazines.org/af ... &album=oui