Scope of the site

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

Samwise

Re: Scope of the site

#16 Post by Samwise » Tue May 25, 2010 9:42 pm

Good points, dave and not something I'd considered.

I probably favour your suggestion of tagging a game as illustrated if any of the platform ports contained graphics. This is because, from what I have seen of the database, it is not intended to be platform-specific so each entry in the database comprises information which covers a particular game across all the platforms it was released on.

Sam.

Alastair

#17 Post by Alastair » Wed May 26, 2010 12:55 am

Personally I think that giving separate tags to text-only and text-with-graphics adventures is a bad idea. As Dave noted there are many games that were originally released as text-only adventures, then were later released with graphics added, so for these games the text-only/text-with-graphics tagging system would be meaningless.

Gunness
Site Admin

#18 Post by Gunness » Fri May 28, 2010 10:31 am

Going away from the tagging aspect for a moment, another issue:
After roaming around on Plus/4 World for a while, I noticed that a heap of unofficial conversions exists for that platform. That is, a merciful individual has converted a game from another platform and made it work on his own.

It is not my plan to include such "releases", which surprised one of P/4 W's admins. His angle was that it would be a better service to players to include those releases. My angle is that it clutters up the information on a site that aims to cater for players but also to catalogue the long and glorious history of adventure games.

Am I being too closed-minded here?

Samwise

#19 Post by Samwise » Fri May 28, 2010 10:58 am

unofficial-port tag? ;)

Sam.

Gunness
Site Admin

#20 Post by Gunness » Fri May 28, 2010 11:48 am

Touché ;)

Mr Creosote

#21 Post by Mr Creosote » Fri May 28, 2010 4:44 pm

Problem is, the tag would apply to the game rather than the version which is an unofficial port. If you include these versions on the site, I think the best way is to add a note along the lines of "version on the Plus/4 is an unofficial port" to the synopsis.

Gunness
Site Admin

#22 Post by Gunness » Fri May 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Again, personally I don't think it's needed, but others may disagree.

Alastair

#23 Post by Alastair » Fri May 28, 2010 10:40 pm

Someone could review the unofficial conversions and make a note in the review that it is an unofficial conversion.

Or, perhaps a less onerous task would be for someone to use the commenting system to post a comment for each game saying that an unofficial conversion of the game exists for whatever the platform may be.