New site launched

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

Gunness
Site Admin

New site launched

#1 Post by Gunness » Mon May 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Please log in on the front page with your forum id, and have a look around. And don't forget to let me know what you think :)

Mark

Re: New site launched

#2 Post by Mark » Tue May 18, 2010 6:52 am

Looks nice. Clear, well-arranged, no unnecessary fluff. I already commented on those few games I solved, so that you admins have something to do :D

Mr Creosote

#3 Post by Mr Creosote » Tue May 18, 2010 8:12 am

Haha - excellent! You've already uncovered two organisational problems/weaknesses with your submissions, Mark :D

Jacob, the "comment" field he used is ambigously named. It's only meant for "internal comments" which the admins can read, but we were too near-sighted to notice normal users will think it's a regular field for publication. Maybe I should rename it to "Update comment (not for publication, only to be read by approvers)"?

Gunness
Site Admin

#4 Post by Gunness » Tue May 18, 2010 8:42 am

Good idea :)
Mark, I've added all your stuff including the comments. FOr the time being, we can just leave them there, until something better comes along ;)

Mark

#5 Post by Mark » Tue May 18, 2010 12:12 pm

Hah! Trust me to find a way to break any system, hehe. That's why people here at the Institute hesitate to let me use any of the more sophisticated measurement machinery :D

If this Comment field isn't meant for normal users, it shouldn't be visible, except for admins, I would say. Also, I fiddled around with reviews a bit, and it wouldn't let me submit anything. I tried several times, and did fill in every field, yet the site told me I didn't for some reason. Dunno if that's a bug or if I'm again too stupid for this stuff, hehe... Though, generally speaking... why make any of the fields mandatory at all? I think it would be more comfy to let anyone fill in whatever he/she likes.

Gunness
Site Admin

#6 Post by Gunness » Tue May 18, 2010 12:31 pm

Well, I'm pleased that we've discovered new ways for you to wreak havoc :)
Mark wrote:If this Comment field isn't meant for normal users, it shouldn't be visible, except for admins, I would say.
There are two fields here that we might need to explain better.
Synopsis: this is where you give a brief rundown of what the game is about.
Comment field: this is meant for normal users. You can use it to make remarks about the information you're sending ("found it in an old mag", "read it somewhere but I can't find it"). But normally it's not going to be publicized. In your case, however, I felt that your comments were fine as synopsises.

The reviews: yup, looks like a tiny insect :) Well spotted!
Mark wrote:why make any of the fields mandatory at all? I think it would be more comfy to let anyone fill in whatever he/she likes.
Most of the fields can be used as you please. I think that the three specified fields are a minimum:
Platform: if the game is available for different platforms (think: The Hobbit), it's nice to know which version is being reviewed
Overall score and comment: At a glance this can help people decide if this is a game they should take note of. And it goes into the reviews overview page, too

df

#7 Post by df » Tue May 18, 2010 12:39 pm

very nice update!! :) I'm going through some old games and marking things up
-- Stu / DF --
-- Mountain Valley + Softgold Adventure Fan --