Author - Who to credit?

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

Alastair

Author - Who to credit?

#1 Post by Alastair » Tue May 23, 2023 10:34 pm

I've come across a game where the title screens state that it was coded by Dave Lincoln and Gareth Davis, and designed by Martin Cowan. Who should I credit as author?

Garry

Re: Author - Who to credit?

#2 Post by Garry » Wed May 24, 2023 3:23 am

I think most of the games that I've come across have credited both designer and programmer, so you would include all three. Famous examples of designers being credited as author include Douglas Adams and Roberta Williams, but the programmers were Steve Meretzky and Ken Williams et al respectively.

Strident

#3 Post by Strident » Wed May 24, 2023 7:05 am

Yes, all three if it's the case that's the original version of the game.

If it is a port from another system, then you'd put the original team as the authors and list any people involved in doing the port in the notes section. That way it's always clear who is responsible for the initial version of the game.

I'm guessing this is for Suspicious Cargo. I see the design, artwork and music of the Amiga version are usually credited to Imagitec Design, with the programming credited to Exile Designs. Normally I'd guess that could indicate the Atari ST version might be the original but Mobygames has that down as being published a year later.

I see that Lemon Amiga has six people credited for the game, including additional names for graphics and music. There's probably not really an argument why all of those shouldn't be included as authors... many titles in the database that have in-game graphics have the artist as one of the authors. It would be more unusual to include the music composer, so I guess this could go in notes.
https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=1474
http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... 11479.html

Alastair

#4 Post by Alastair » Wed May 24, 2023 11:14 pm

I would really like to credit authorship to whoever created the puzzles and atmosphere of the game, otherwise you are in danger of crediting Graeme Yeandle as co-author of all Quill games! In this instance I have no idea if the coders worked with the designer in creating the puzzles or atmosphere, or indeed the exact role of the designer. Garry, in the examples you gave we know that Adams and Meretzky worked together in the design of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy so there is no problem listing both as authors, I don't know about the Williams' games but I note that CASA does not list Ken on many of Roberta's games.
Strident wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:05 am
I'm guessing this is for Suspicious Cargo.
Correct!
Strident wrote:
Yes, all three if it's the case that's the original version of the game.

If it is a port from another system, then you'd put the original team as the authors and list any people involved in doing the port in the notes section. That way it's always clear who is responsible for the initial version of the game.
Both Amiga and ST entries list the same people, so I think we can assume they are the original coders and designer.
Strident wrote:
I see that Lemon Amiga has six people credited for the game, including additional names for graphics and music. There's probably not really an argument why all of those shouldn't be included as authors... many titles in the database that have in-game graphics have the artist as one of the authors. It would be more unusual to include the music composer, so I guess this could go in notes.
For the reason I gave in the first sentence I am reluctant to include graphic and music artists as co-authors.

Anyway, I've added all three names and a suitable note to the game's entry.