Writing in information for (my own) series?

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

ASchultz

Writing in information for (my own) series?

#1 Post by ASchultz » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:47 am

Hello again,

I have some games of mine that are on CASA (which is a thrill!) and I had a question of how to note that they were part of a series. I noticed other people had done the work other places e.g. with Problems Compound.

I tried looking at Zork and seeing about sending an update, which didn't show anything. Where can I write this information? Do I have authority to change it?

(The games in question are Shuffling Around, A Roiling Original and (published last year)Tours Roust Torus.)

Also, as a side note: I have a series of multiple games where I may be adding a final entry in IFComp 2023, if all goes well. Should I wait until that game is published to add/request adding of the series info?

And is it better to give all the info at once, or space it out? It seems either way could be seen as hogging the "Recent Activity" page, either short-term or just always having something up there. Hopefully this is just a silly question.

Garry

Re: Writing in information for (my own) series?

#2 Post by Garry » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:56 am

It's not a silly question. I normally just write it out in plain text using the same format as used in other entries and leave it up to the admins to do the formatting. I think that's all you can do.

Strident

#3 Post by Strident » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:49 am

Just send an update on the relevant game pages to say which games are in a series (and the order if necessary) and it's a simple job for an admin to create a game group to tag them all with.

I see we don't have the other two games in the database yet. If you submit their details, just mention they're in a series with Shuffling Around and we'll pop them all in a group as they're added.

Strident

#4 Post by Strident » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:01 am

Ah, spotted the second game (I was searching for "rolling") so the first two are now in a suitable group. We'd just need some details on the third game.

EDIT: Added a placeholder for the third game. I notice it is currently not linked to the other two on IFDB.

ASchultz

#5 Post by ASchultz » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:36 pm

Thanks to both of you for the responses and tweaking the pages here! It's good to know the process isn't too difficult.

This is a tangent, but does anyone else have a problem with notifications maybe getting spam-screened by GMail? I half forgot I posted here and didn't get a mail notification.

As for the games, I'll write out what I can so it's relatively painless for admins.

And thanks for letting me know about IFDB. I thought I added everything to the series there, but I guess not.

Garry

#6 Post by Garry » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:18 am

I haven't had any problem with gmail diverting emails to spam or junk. Perhaps you can whitelist the CASA emails.

ASchultz

#7 Post by ASchultz » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:23 am

I got it, thanks, Garry! I thought I'd looked through all the options, but I hadn't. There was an option in my control panel I 1) hadn't seen and 2) assumed that sort of thing was set by default, but it wasn't.

It's weird how not getting expected notifications derailed my writing for a bit. But now I see what I missed, I'll hopefully be back on pace.

Strident

#8 Post by Strident » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:19 pm

Outside of forum-related updates, you may also find that CASA submission emails are tagged with the email address of the admin/editor who processes them. There's definitely the potential to miss those responses... I know that my website hosting service's spam filter particular likes keeping hold of any replies users send me to those and doesn't even let those reach my inbox.