Linking to outside walkthroughs?

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

ASchultz

Linking to outside walkthroughs?

#1 Post by ASchultz » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:22 pm

I'm looking through game data for games I can add information for, and I'm wondering

1. how helpful it would be to provide links to outside walkthroughs such as David Welbourn's which are hard to do better than
2. how we should best add the HTML links as information e.g. "Show update" and add something to the "AKA" box or the "comments" box?

3. side point: is it worth adding where a game placed in IFComp, or what XYZZY awards it got?

Strident

Re: Linking to outside walkthroughs?

#2 Post by Strident » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:59 pm

I tend to personally put any extra information in the notes section. The template you've got off Garry works, in terms of making it easy for an admin/editor to copy and paste the information into the appropriate fields when updating the page.

I agree that David Welbourne's walkthroughs are great. Other editors might be willing to take on the task of making those sorts of edits to game pages to add the relevant links, if they're submitted to the queue... so I'll let them answer if they think that's something that would be useful to do. I'd probably personally prefer focussing my time processing material that's being specifically contributed to be added to CASA itself. There's enough there each day to give me something to do in the morning before I go to work.

Garry

#3 Post by Garry » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:46 am

I think it's a great idea. David Welbourn does fantastic walkthroughs. We can't copy his walkthroughs for copyright reasons, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind us linking to them. It might draw extra people to his site and may even get him some more Patreon supporters. David does a monthly report of new walkthroughs on IFDB, so you could use that to keep track of updates.

There are also lots of walkthroughs on other sites such as TipShop (to name just one) and the transcripts on ClubFloyd can be very useful if you get desperate.

If I come across a walkthrough on another site (such as IFDB) or an "official" walkthrough included with a game, is it okay (as in legal/ethical) to include those on CASA? If not, we could provide links to those. There are also invisiclues on intfiction from time to time.

On a related topic, is it okay to go the other way? Specifically, is it okay to include links to CASA from IFDB? (I noticed that David Welbourn has been doing this for his walkthroughs.) This might make people more aware of CASA and attract more contributions. I think we should probably provide a link to the game page, not a direct download to the walkthrough file.

Alex

#4 Post by Alex » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:00 pm

My personal problem of putting links to external websites is who is going to check if all the links are still working? Before you know it the site will be full of dead links.

The policy of adding contents to CASA as far as I understood was meant to be your own material and not copy and paste walkthroughs from others (not in te least due to legal matters).

Concerning the other way around. I don't see a problem if other sites want to add links to CASA. They will encounter the above mentioned problem when we change links. I myself have given permision to a few websites to use all of my walkthroughs/maps as long as they don't remove my name from them. However I've encountered my maps and solutions on a whole bunch of sites I've never heard of before :lol:

ASchultz

#5 Post by ASchultz » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:50 am

Thanks everyone! These seem like really common sense responses.

I guess I can do small stuff like tweet my latest contributions or maybe even have a monthly roll-up at IFDB or intfiction.org.

And yeah I've seen my stuff on other sites too. You can't really stop it i guess.