CMD Emulator for Android?

Everything you ever wanted to know about emulators and interpreters - but were afraid to ask.

Moderator: Alastair

The Artful Dodger

CMD Emulator for Android?

#1 Post by The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Hello:

I looked around for an emulator that ran on Android but I could find none. Are there any around that will run IF that will run on the command processor in Windows?

Thanks in advance.

Sparky

Gunness
Site Admin

Re: CMD Emulator for Android?

#2 Post by Gunness » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi, and welcome :)
I'm not sure I know what you're asking about - do you mean a DOS emulator?

The Artful Dodger

#3 Post by The Artful Dodger » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi, Gunness:

Yes, that is exactly what I'm looking for. I have quite a few Interactive Fiction games, like Zork, that will run in Windows, but the DOS CMD function is so simple that I thought perhaps there was one I could use to run the games.

Thanks for the reply.

Sparky

Gunness
Site Admin

#4 Post by Gunness » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Apparently DosBox Turbo for Android works pretty okay :) Haven't tried it, though. Do let us know if it works out!

Alastair

#5 Post by Alastair » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:04 pm

Artful Dodger (or should that be Sparky?),
I know nothing about running text adventures on Android devices however I have come across a project to run Infocom and more recent Z-machine, Glulx, and TADS games on Android. I don't know if it suits your needs or how difficult it is to set up but an overview is available at http://kevinboone.net/kbox_frotz.html with the home page for the actual software at http://kevinboone.net/kbox_index.html

Mr Creosote

#6 Post by Mr Creosote » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:07 am

If it is primarily Infocom games, I recommend Son of Hunky Punk. It, too, is a Z- Code, TADS etc. interpreter, not a DOS emulator. Meaning it will go easy on your battery. For Level 9 games, use L9Droid. For less popular games, you will need to revert to a full emulator, of course.

The use of all of these is somewhat limited by tiny screens and lack of physical keyboard obviously.

Alastair

#7 Post by Alastair » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:32 pm

Mr Creosote wrote:The use of all of these is somewhat limited by [...] and lack of physical keyboard obviously.
This reminds me of a story that Scott Adams told at last year's Tandy Assembly (I give details on where you can find the YouTube video elsewhere in the forum but I'm not going to re-watch it to find the precise time when the story is told, though it is probably in the last third of the video). Anyway, there was some conference where Scott Adams was demonstrating his games running on smartphones, what came as a complete surprise to him and his wife was when a number of twenty-somethings, and younger, played the games but rather than using their phones' touchscreen keyboards they instead used the phones' speech-to-text functions to enter the commands - this way of playing the games had never occurred to Mr. and Mrs. Adams. So, if you don't have a physical keyboard handy and using an on-screen keyboard is a pain, just remember that there may be another way to play the game...

Mr Creosote

#8 Post by Mr Creosote » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:51 am

Heh, nice idea, indeed! May just not be so appropriate when commuting ;)